Our Partnership in Kenya
Missionaries: Christopher and Florence Sure
Location: Kodera Karabach, Kenya
Christopher Sure was a Kenyan high school teacher and local lay pastor when many recognized that he could be more effective with a Bible School education. In 1999, the opportunity arose to come to Issaquah, Washington to the Lutheran Bible Institute (now known as Trinity Lutheran College). Even though he was the father of 3 young children, he and his wife determined that since they had prayed for 5 years for this, he must go.
God brought Christopher into contact with Pine Lake Covenant Church and we took him on as our missionary, as well as finding funds to provide for his full college schooling. We made it possible for him to fly home each summer and Christmas in order to maintain the ministries he had begun before leaving.
Around Christmas of 1999, we sent a team to investigate the potential of initiating a mission partnership, and they returned with excitement, convinced that God had placed this community in our path for a good purpose! We undertook initiatives such as:
- Taught health and hygiene principles
- Funded the building of latrines at local elementary school
- Developed a Certified Seed and Fertilizer Bank
- Provided medical services through medical teams
- Funded the construction of a 3 room clinic – St. John’s Clinic, Karabach – manned by Kenyan nurses
- Funded the Pine Lake Academy – a private Christian elementary school – through Child Sponsorship
- Purchased a 50’X 30’ tent for the purpose of being a Community center as well as house the Church congregation of 200 Koderans
- Taught how to dream dreams and build goals for community development
While Christopher is not an elected leader in his community, he is looked at by almost everyone there as ‘their’ community leader. Up until now, he has been responsible for all the development of this community. Now, since the 2008 Conference in Nairobi with the leaders of the community, he has a group of 27 leaders on ‘the same page’ committed to helping him dream dreams for the community and help make needed changes.
Christopher and Florence have been married 20+ years and have 3 children: Vickie, Isaiah, and Angela, who is physically challenged.
Pine Lake Academy
The largest component of our partnership with Christopher is the Pine Lake Academy. PLA is a Preschool through 8th grade school located in Kodera and funded through sponsorship of students, coordinated by Pine Lake Covenant Church.Learn about Pine Lake Academy
Who to Contact
If you are interested in further stories about what has taken place in this community, please contact Priscilla Larsen: